Thursday, May 5, 2011

On this day last year, Manicure Update, and Salsa!

[fyi - sorry if you read this before I got a chance to edit it - the post got deleted at about 10:30 at night, right before I was about to go to bed and after I may have had a glass of wine, and when I re-typed it as quickly as possible, I made some typos and left stuff out, and I was too tired to reread and edit it all before republishing.]

(OH. MY. GOSH.  - I had a full post written and published and it got deleted it somehow when I went in to edit one little word :( - so here it is again, the best I can remember......)

1.  On this day last year...........We found out we were having a girl!  It was a wonderful day, Tracy and Preston were in town, so we invited them to go with us and they got to see some of the ultrasound after we found out (it was just the two of us when we found out).  Afterwards, we went to buy our sweet girl a stuffed pink giraffe to celebrate the occasion, then had lunch with Scott's mom, Tracy, and Preston.  We were SO happy to find out what we were having and SO happy and to know that our sweet nieces had another girl to hang out with!  These beautiful girls are going to be trouble, and I secretly love it (at least now, before the trouble has begun).

2.  Manicure!  Tomorrow would have marked the two week anniversary of my gel (shellac?  which is right?) manicure.  I loved it, but it was time for it to GO.   I took a picture first:


(As you can see from this picture, my nails were still in decent shape, but a couple of them had chipped and they had grown out a good bit.  What you can't see is that the thick layer of polish was peeling up a tiny bit in spots, in a way that totally reminded me of being a little girl and using that super cheap nail polish that would peel off so easily that I would sit and paint, peel, and repeat for ours.  Anyone else remember that?)

So, then, I peeled, and I'm not gonna lie, it was a little bit fun!  Here's what it looked like immediately after (fyi, no bleeding occurred, although a few stubborn spots would not peel):



This is what they look like now, a few hours later and a little more recovered: 



(still no bleeding, just stubborn polish).

Long story short (at least for me):  I would DEFINITELY do this again. Especially for a vacation.  It lasted SO much longer than a normal manicure, which literally doesn't usually make it past me starting my car in the parking lot of the nail salon.  I will, however, be sure to have plenty of lotion on hand for recovery afterwards.

3. SALSA!  I love salsa.  And despite Scott's distaste for onions, spices, and anything Mexican that doesn't have a number in front of it, he does too.  At some point, I decided to make a black bean salsa.  I was either unable to find an internet recipe I wanted to make, or too lazy to do a search, so I decided to make my own recipe (mistake).  But then, after I picked up the can of black beans for the salsa, I realized that God had clearly recognized that he had not made me a chef and had therefore put a recipe for black bean salsa ON THE BACK OF THE CAN!  If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

So, in honor of Cinco de Mayo and even though this is the least authentically Mexican salsa recipe ever, you should make this very easy staple salsa immediately, as it is delicious and healthy (as long as you don't mind stuff out of cans) and man-pleasing (or neighbor, or pregnant lady, whomever you need to please).  And yes, I went all disorganized Pioneer Woman for this food post - enjoy!

Cast of characters:



1 can black beans, drained a little but not rinsed, and preferably seasoned recipe (although I have used the non-seasoned, and it was fine.  Apparently, I have no bean palate.)

1 can diced basil/garlic/oregano tomatoes (yes, I realize these are typically Italian spices, just stay with me here)

1 can diced tomatoes (petite or otherwise, up to you)

1 can white shoepeg corn (drained)

Chopped Onion (I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 a small to medium onion - up to you!)

Chopped Jalapeno (to your taste - after all the "cans" used above and my hatred of the burn factor associated with raw jalapenos, I use the pickled Kroger brand jalapenos)

At least 8 oz of Italian dressing (Trust me on this one).

Dump everything canned in a large bowl:


Then, add your chopped onion and jalapeno:


And add your dressing - I forgot to take a pic (sorry)  but the dressing is key, so don't forget it. 

Then, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART:  do not taste the salsa for at least 3 hours, but preferably at least 24 (I'm serious - I don't joke about salsa, and yes, that's 24 full hours. I know, I know, it seems like an incredibly long time to wait for salsa, but it's totally worth it.  Promise. The flavor just keeps getting better.)

Then serve with tortilla chips (we usually use the Scoops) and eat your heart out!

Happy Cinco de Mayo, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment