Monday, April 4, 2011

We love you Reilly!

[Sorry for the two "birthday" posts in a row, but I have to honor our sweet puppy dog Reilly's fifth birthday, which was on April 2.]

When we got Reilly, she was 5 weeks old, about 5 pounds, and would fit in one hand.  We drove all the way to Iowa after law school exams our second year to pick up this little ball of fur, and by the time we got home, we were smitten:



Reilly was quickly part of the family, enjoying all the fun activities we did as a new "family," including: 

Hanging out at the lake:



Partaking in some delicious beverages:


Seeing her cousin Maddie:


Hanging out in the yard (added benefit of me including this picture: motivation to lose. the. baby. weight.  I think I can, I think I can): 


Studying for law school: 


Cheering on the Vols and hating the Florida Gators (but then again, who doesn't?): 



Going on camping/canoe trips:

 


Loving being a daddy's girl (and she is NOTHING if not a daddy's girl, I don't think I've ever seen such a pair): 


And, finally, celebrating the news of our pregnancy: 


Ok, maybe she wasn't exactly celebrating, and those first few months, which are hard on everyone, may have been hardest on Reilly.  

Whenever Bailey cries, we all feel a sense of helplessness and stress, but Reilly's little heart just seems to melt.  You can literally see her stress level go up (and feel it as she walks all over your face if it happens while you're sleeping - she makes SURE we know when sweet Bailey is upset).  

I know it's hard on her that I just simply don't always have the energy to love on her the way I used to after a long day of taking care of our (human) baby, and it's also tough for her to no longer have a yard to sunbathe in and get away from that insanely loud crying baby. But, thankfully, Scott is still amazing with her and somehow finds the energy to make her feel loved and important every single day (this is making me sound awful, but I promise I try!).  Also, we are very very lucky to have the river park and, as often as we can, we take her down there, let her off leash (shhh don't tell), and get her (almost) enough exercise.  

I hope we'll soon have a new yard for Reilly (in East TN - please pray for us on that if you get a chance, thanks in advance!) and that, as I get more and more used to this "mommy" thing, my energy for loving on her the way she deserves will return.  

But what gives me the most comfort is my trust that, pretty soon, Reilly is going to realize that she's got a new best friend who will be a whole different kind of fun than we ever were: 





Here's to many many more years, sweet Reilly dog!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Reilly! Super Cute post Amy, we feel the same about our animals but I think they are regressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Haley! Sweet dogs, I know Reilly has had moments of regression too. It is so hard on them to give up their primary position!

    ReplyDelete