Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tastes like summer!

First, I should probably mention that I'm not a chef.  I'm not even sure I would call myself a cook.  Unlike the authors of many of the blogs I love to read and whom I totally admire (you mean women can work AND cook?), I don't do meal planning for our weekly meals, I don't usually know exactly what fruits or vegetables are in season, I don't make up my own recipes, and it is not altogether unusual for Scott and me to end up eating frozen foods for dinner.  So, if you're looking for some amazing and creative recipes from blog writers who are much funnier and chef-ier than me, I would suggest you go here or here

When I have time, however, I do enjoy cooking, and I can follow a recipe (much to my dad's relief - I'm pretty sure he was convinced that my utter lack of interest in anything kitchen related during my teen years was going to cause me to end up a chubby spinster living among takeout boxes and cats, and I don't even like cats).  Over the last few years, I've gotten a little more ambitious in the kitchen and I've ended up with a few go-to recipes that are both easy and delicious.  

This is one of them, and it may very well be my favorite summer recipe.  I found this recipe for pasta salad on the internet (see how non-cheflike I am?) during law school when I was looking for something to take to a cookout, and I'm pretty sure I've taken some version of it to just about every potluck cookout I've gone to since then.  The basil, tomatoes, and feta blend wonderfully and only get better with time.  I also love it because, like all pasta salads, you can totally adapt it to whatever you are in the mood for or whatever is in the fridge.  

I had to make this tonight because the over 80 degree temperature got my summer fever going:



Basil, Feta and Tomato Pasta Salad 
1 box bow tie pasta
6-8 oz of feta cheese (totally up to you - I love feta and will use this recipe as an excuse to buy 2 blocks, then use all of one and part of the other for the recipe, then sneak bites of the rest until its gone use the rest on salads and pasta)
1 to 1.5 boxes of grape tomatoes 
1 bunch of green onions
Basil (fresh is better, but dried is just fine, and the amount is up to you - I'm a firm believer you can never have too much)
Salt (I prefer a mix of kosher and sea salt)
Pepper (I like fresh ground)
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar

Cook pasta according to package directions.  


While the pasta is cooking, chop both your grape tomatoes and your green onions.  Also, if you're using fresh basil, you're going to want to chop or chiffonade the basil.

When the pasta is done, drain it and cold-shock it by rinsing with cold water. 

Combine cooked pasta with chopped tomatoes and green onions. 

Add your basil, salt, and pepper to taste. 

Finally, add as much olive oil and red wine vinegar as you desire.  I usually pour on several tablespoons of olive oil and pour on a good bit of red wine vinegar (really helpful, I know).  

One thing to note:  the red wine vinegar tends to dry this out a bit the longer it sits and I often have to add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and/or water right before serving, so keep that in mind, especially if you're making it a day ahead.  

Also, in case you thought I was exaggerating about my total lack of meal planning and taste for crappy foods, this is how we had our pasta salad tonight (don't be fooled by my attempt to fancy up the meal and our terrible apartment stove with the granite cutting board): 


Classy, party of two?

-

No comments:

Post a Comment